Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Top #2

My entry #2 for the Spring Top Week contest is another vintage pattern makeover. I took this maternity pullover, Simplicity 2554 from 1968 in view 2, and reworked the body to be a "normal" shape.

All this really takes is taking out the enormous swing in the front, and curving the sideseams in where the body would curve naturally.

Once again, this pattern had those weird darts that descended from the armscye into the bust. I just can't imagine that was ever a flattering look, and it certainly doesn't work for me at all. Maybe it's my height? I really loved the collar and tab on the front. I've looked at this pattern dozens of times in the past year and a half, and I never got tired of it. When Amy Butler's Love line debuted I thought maybe this would be a good combo for it?

I'm still searching for the perfect button. I used a fun, glittery glass button that looks like a fake diamond, but I also think something yellow that resembles a gemstone would be super cute.

Once the top was made I decided to go without the giant bow in the front. Maybe I'm too tall for it, maybe I'm too old for it, but it just didn't look right. I still like the shape of the collar and the tab without the bow, so that's good.

This pattern was a breeze to put together. I loved the way they have you assemble the collar and facings, it made it all lay super nicely.

Thanks for letting me share, I'll take some better pictures and edit this post as soon as I get a chance.

7 comments:

  1. This is adorable! Too bad it fits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute!!! I love seeing your creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the style and fabric choice-so cute and still sophisticated!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very cute! I like the Amy Butler fabric alot, and a yellow button would look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just popped over from Sew Retro. When you mentioned the Amy Butler fabric, I had to come see the results. The fabric and pattern are a great combo! And it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Looks fabulous! I agree with the yellow button idea, might be neat to see what it would look like with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! My spring top is nowhere to be seen... although I did get some fabric for my birthday. But it is an intimidating silk, not sure I want to mess with it.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS