It's from a vintage pattern, Simplicity 8278 dated 1969. I really love the yellow version on the jacket cover. It's a dress, but for some reason that sash and the clean lines really spoke to me.
I made the first version of the top in a white stretch poplin, and to be honest that was the right choice of fabric. The only problem was that it was too tight. Across the shoulders, especially, which isn't really a flattering look for anyone. I know, I know, if only I'd made a muslin.
The second problem was I had estimated how long I wanted it to be, and I underestimated. So the first top, which sits happily in my sweatshop, is simply not for me. Perfectly cute and wearable, but for someone much smaller than myself.
I wasn't going to let that stop me! I pulled out my stash of white linen/cotton blend fabric and cut it out again. This time I changed the darts from coming downward out of the armscye (what the?) to under the arm in a more modern fashion. And I removed the weird shoulder/neckline darts that were on the original pattern. That could have explained why the first version was too tight across the shoulders.
I also added about an inch more of ease on either side of the bust, and at least six or eight inches of length.
I really like the finished version! It calls for either snaps or buttons to close, so I chose sew-in snaps for now. I am thinking I might switch it up to buttons but I have this crazy idea of being to coordinate the buttons with the sash I'm wearing that day? Is that insane? Too Garanimals? Do they even make interchangeable buttons, like those watchbands you can switch out for your outfit? If not, I'll probably just make some out of the white linen/cotton.
One of the things I love about this blouse is the ability to make vastly different sashes. This one was out of Heather Ross' octopus print and an orange cotton I got at The Quilted Fox here in St. Louis last year. It has the most amazing hand, it feels like silk.
For my photo shoot, I paired it with some linen/cotton pants I bought at Anthropologie last year, but I think it would be cute with a black pencil skirt and a black and white sash, too.
And of course, I need to work on my posture and pull the dang thing down a little because it was riding up! Taking pictures on a timer of yourself is hard.All in all, I am pretty happy with the finished product. I know now that vintage darting doesn't work for me because I'm tall. And I'm not vintage. And frankly, I've grown accustomed to where darts are and I kinda like it that way. But the ease of construction in vintage patterns never ceases to amaze me! The pieces go together perfectly. The fit is typically spot on, and there aren't a whole lot of complicated maneuverings that tend to send me off track.
Next up, another vintage pattern completely reworked and made out of Amy Butler's new Love line! Sooo cute, I can't stand it. Stay tuned.....