Saturday, May 22, 2010

The weekend sewing disaster

Last weekend had such potential, at least with regards to my sewing. My mom had made plans to take my older son (4) for the day on Saturday, kind of a grandma-and-Cooper bonding time. This left my husband and I to split duty on only one kid! This is somewhat like winning the lottery, except I’ve never won so I wouldn’t know.

Sure enough, I was able to sew. I had a beautiful piece of light blue cotton/silk lawn with tiny white polka dots that I’d already cut out from Vogue 8252 a while ago, just sitting in my To Be Sewn projects box. Since I wanted to be able to take at least one handmade item to my meeting in Atlanta this week, this blouse seemed like it was going to be the most appropriate.

On a total sidenote, this pattern is now out of print. But it looks just like a lot of the blouses J Crew has in their current collection. Huh? I don't get pattern companies, that part is clear.

I decided to needle-down and was working with a Microtex super sharp needle in a 70. In hindsight, I could say a 60 would have been better, I think. Just a tip if you’re ever sewing on a cotton that’s very whispy, go sharp and go down in size. I find most gingham to be lighter than usual, too, and usually go down to a size 70.

Anyhoodle, I had made my way through most of the hard stuff. I'd checked the fit (that's when I made my husband take these pictures).


I'd even put the collar and collar stay on, at least three times. The first time I attached the collar band, I realized I'd omitted the most important part - the collar. So I took it off , took it apart, inserted the collar, and reattached the band. Sounds like fun, right? Yeah, I kind of wanted to scratch my eyes out by that point, but I was determined to keep sewing.

See, I was leaving for a weeklong meeting and for the first time in my life, I planned on wearing something I'd made at the meeting.

It was not to be.

Shortly after attaching the collar correctly, I decided to step over to my laundry machines and switch loads.

Right about this time, my two-year-old decided to step up to my project table with a tiny pair of scissors in his hand and take a swipe at my blouse.

I can still see my body, lurching across the room in slow mo. Screaming "nooooooooooo!!!!!" But it was too late.

The delicate voile had taken a hit, and it was in the worst possible place. I hole in the fabric about the size of a large plastic pin head, right under the face at the top of the button placket.

I don't know if you can see it or not, you may have to click the photo to enlarge it. It's there. It's not repairable, unless I somehow figure out another way to construct the blouse that would allow me to cut all that fabric off? The problem is the fabric is pretty sheer, so any type of interfacing or repairwork will show up like a gigantic Spongebob band-aid under my face.

So, I stopped sewing right then and there. I don't mean for life, I mean for that day, and on that project.

*sigh* Sewing and small children often don't mix well. They both take a very large amount of concentration. This weekend I haven't done any sewing at all because my husband and I were like ships that crossed in the night on Friday and I've been a single parent since I returned home, but I'm hoping next week will bring with it some down time worthy of working on one of my Jalie patterns, or anything else in my UFO box.

5 comments:

  1. oh that hurts just reading about it, Heather. And such a lovely fabric too. Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had an 'oh no!' moment too... was finishing a custom dress, got interrupted but didn't stop the overlocker and took a chunk out of the dress. :( Looks like my buyer will be choosing another fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a shame! I almost screamed NOOOO with you while reading, I completely felt like it was happening right here right now.

    Little ones and sewing. Not a good combination here either. Some people seem to be able to pull it off, but here I have difficulties with it too. My littlest one seems to always find something naughty to do while I'm sewing (like secretly and silently crawling under the table and suddenly pull down the pedal...aaaaargh). So i try to find time to sew when they are asleep, or when my husband looks after them.

    Anyway, I'm so sorry about your blouse. It looks like such a lovely fabric. Are you sure there is nothing you can do to save it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! That was not a good sewing moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Is there no way to fix it?! I sewed in front of my littlest sister for the first time the other week. She has Downs so I try to make things simple and I referred to my machine as Owie until I was done. I don't know if it helped or not but she didn't stick her little fingers anywhere she shouldn't have. I'm so sorry about your blouse!

    ~Kelli @ Smidgens

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS