Saturday, May 1, 2010

Any Spanish speakers out there? **with an edit**



I have this copy of Patrones magazine, and there's a skirt I'm thinking of making for someone other than myself.



SKIRT in beige cotton with hip piece, roll on the base and applications stitching sewn with black cotton. Side zip.



The thing is, I don't speak fluent Spanish anymore. OK, I never did, but I could get by when I was in Spain.

I've run the text of the instructions through Babel Fish and it came out sounding like a different foreign language, only written in English. So I'm going to post the description and instructions here and hopefully someone can either email me or comment to tell me what's going on?



Colocar adomo de flores y hojas en falda delante y detras segun modelo y coser con un pespunte estilo hilvan en hilo torzal quedando recortadas y deshilachadas. Pasar un doble frunce en los angulos de la falda delante y detras y coser a una pieza cadera delante y detras tensando los frunces segun formas, coser y cerrar lados falda hasta senal final cremallara lado ezquierdo, aplicar esta invisible.

Translated, it supposedly means: Adom Place flowers and leaves in front and back skirt and sew according to the model with a basting stitch yarn style clipped and frayed twine. Spend a double pleats at the corners of the skirt front and back and sew in a piece hip front and back by tightening the forms according gathers, sewing and close sides to sign final lap side zip ezquierdo apply this invisible.

My main question is how the top half goes together? Is the yoke piece at the top simply topstitched onto the skirt, or are those keyhole boxes actually turned with right sides together, clipping at the corners? It looks like the flowers are just stitched on top of the skirt, allowing the edges to fray? The person I'd be making this for wouldn't like that, so I'd have to come up with a different method of stitching them on.

Thanks for your help!

**Thanks to the wonderful okiethfairy, I am now including a photo of the pattern pieces. They lead me to believe it's put together like the key/pattern pieces and not appliqued. What do you think?**

6 comments:

  1. What do the pattern pieces look like? I would applique the flowers and leaves if you don't want them to fray. Using a fusible material will make that much easier and prevent them from fraying.

    If I had to guess on the top portion, it is probably sewn on top of the skirt without forming each section and clipping. Again, it's a guess without a picture of the pattern pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what I'm getting:

    Place the flower and leaf adornment on the skirt front and back according to the diagram and sew with a tacking backstitch in silk twist thread, leaving behind cutouts and loose threads. Make a double pleat in the corner of the skirt front and back and sew to a hip front and back piece, tightening the pleats with gathers, sew skirt sides closed to the last mark with the zipper on the left side, to apply is invisible (???).

    So it sounds like for sure you applique the leaves and flowers by hand with embroidery floss and leave the edges to fray. I can't tell what the part about the yoke means for certain, but it sounds like they want you to cut two each of the hip front and hip back, four of the bottom black hem part, and two of the skirt front/back piece. That makes me think you would put the hip front and hip back on each side of the skirt piece and sew all three together from the inside, and the same with the hem part. I don't see any topstitching anywhere except on the appliques, so I don't think the yoke and hem are topstitched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern says it all. The yoke is sewn to the skirt with right sides together and then clipped- whew! Sounds like it's going to be a pain getting them exact. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It says that you have to doble baste all the angles (front and back yoke pieces) and then sew them to front and back like a jigsaw puzzle, adapting the angles as you go. It's kind of a free form quilt. After that sew front and back and apply an invisible zipper on the left side.
    The flowers are only attatched to the front a back using a simple running stitch, leaving the borders to fray, kind of Alabama Chanin.
    I hope it helps.
    My basic language is spanish, but I learned to sew "in english", this was VERY hard for me, the language used here is a bit complicated even for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be this comment arrives a bit late, but I've just discovered (really pleasantly) your blog just some minutes ago. I'm spanish and I think I can help you with the translation. I'm not completely agree with the explanations above, so.. if already needed i'll be glad to help. Please, let me know at: mj.bestard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am Vanessa here, writing you from Costa Rica! How about I teach you all I can about Spanish and you teach me a thing or two about sewing? ;)

    Great Blog by the way, I am loving it!!!

    If you want to exchange a word or two you can reach me at vaneherca@gmail.com

    Nos vemos!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS