Friday, July 25, 2014

I haz skilz

It's been almost three years since I've written anything on these pages. Three long years.

A lot has happened to me and to my ragtag little crew in those three years.

My husband died.

We moved.

We made new friends and learned new things.

The boys are almost twice as old as they were when I posted last, at least the littlest one is.

About a year and a half ago, I decided to have our basement in the new house finished, and out of that construction came a new sewing room. It's beautiful and useful and most of the time, it's never visited. My new life just hasn't included any time for sewing. Sure, I can hem pants like a fiend. I can alter things that need altering. I even managed to make slipcovers for my kitchen chairs when we moved here.

But taking out a pattern, some fabric, and actually constructing anything from scratch? Nah, wasn't happening. There is just no time. Or is there? Was that just an excuse I was giving myself?

Last week, I made a vow to change that. I picked a pattern and some fabric, and I cut it out. I started the sewing process, ignoring all the wails and whines from the childrens. They would just have to learn to play around me while I sew.  Maybe they'd even learn a few things in the process.

Wow, it felt so good to be sewing! The smell, the hum, the iron making it's weird gurgling noises. I love everything about it.

In a few days, maybe sooner, I hope to have my first, or rather, my next project finished to share. It's fun to be at it again, I can tell you that. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long.

- H

5 comments:

  1. It's a lot to have happened in anyone's life. I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you. After all of that, ENJOY your sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. You've gone through a lot.

    As trite as it sounds, I look forward to seeing your new blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, I am so glad You are back. I was reading Your other blog/the letters - and have been thinking a lot about You. I wish to You and the boys all the best, take care.
    B.r., Ruta.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS